The St Nicholas Parish Church image gallery
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/352205stalls.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/625930nave_to_tower.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/357809nave_looking_west.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/638653De_Brus.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/948874lady_chapel.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/884583Memorial_Chapel.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/606105Altar_East_Window.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/304611Cherub.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/429497Font.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/119282Pulpit.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/763999Organ.jpglink
http://www.stnicholasguisborough.org.uk/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/189739St_Francis_Window.jpglink

Choir Stalls

The present Choir Stalls date from 1904. In the stalls are embroidered kneelers that were produced and donated parishioners in 1986/1987. The organ keyboard area is behind the left hand side choir stalls. An organ was first used in 1819. Before that, which musicians played in the gallery at the west end of the Church. The musician’s gallery is now the ringing chamber. On the right, beyond the choir stalls, is a large slab that marks the position of the De Brus Cenotaph during the 17th Century.

Tower

The balcony was built for an orchestra, before the church had an organ, and has since become the ringing chamber. The tower has had two clocks with the present clock fitted 1910. Both the clocks were driven by manually wound weights. The winding, is now electrical but prior to the winding change a few tonnes of gear used to hang above the treble ringer’s head! Now only a few kilos hang in the clock chamber. After the new clock was fitted the old clock was transferred to the Ryedale Folk Museum, Hutton-le-Hole. Six bells were fitted in the tower in 1824. In 1927 the bells were retuned and fittings modernised and in 2002 the 1824 wooden frame was strengthened.

Nave looking west

A general view looking west down the church. Looking out through the tower there are two windows that date from either end of the 20th century. The older, outside window is of traditional design fitted into the stone arches. The new, inside Window is both a memorial and a heat conservancy feature (it prevents heat escaping up through the bell-rope guides). The new window has a light oak frame that sits on top of the original dark oak parapet of the balcony.

De Brus Cenotaph

This memorial to the de Brus family (ancestors of Scottish King Robert the Bruce) was constructed around 1520 for installation in the Priory to commemorate Robert De Brus II who founded the Priory in 1119. At the right end of the cenotaph some tiles, rescued from the Priory grounds, have been reassembled to illustrate the original designs. The window, on the right of the picture, contains remnants of mediaeval glass transferred from the former East Window dating from various periods including some 16th century pieces showing delicate artistry.

Lady Chapel

The Chapel of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist is a raised area in the South East corner of the nave and was dedicated in 1967. Previously it had been the Chaloner family box pew. The pew had its own external door half of which can be seen on the right of the picture. There was also a door in the oak panel, surrounding the pew, at the top of the stairs on the left giving the Chaloner family a route to communion at the Altar. The stairs, on the right, were added for access to the Chapel. Below the chapel is a burial vault used by the Chaloners, this is now permanently sealed. In the chapel area there is a window, with figure of Christ, made of medieval glass. Also there is a stone cross in the wall of the chapel area that is a relic from the Priory. In the foreground is the Lectern carved in the form of an eagle.

Chapel of Remembrance

The Chapel of Remembrance is in the original location of the font. The frieze over the altar was originally the reredos over the main altar at the East end of the Church.

Altar and East Window

Altar and East Window

Cherub

Cherub

Font

Font

Pulpit

Pulpit

Organ

Organ

St Francis Window

St Francis Window

Choir Stalls Tower Nave looking west De Brus Cenotaph Lady Chapel Chapel of Remembrance Altar and East Window Cherub Font Pulpit Organ St Francis Window